Thursday, January 31, 2008

Iowa or Wales?



So this morning it was somewhat decent out, temp in the 40s and partly sunny. Then about noon it clouded up and we had a bit of rain and some winds. Then around 1 it was a rain/snow mix. Then about 2 it was snowing and sleeting. Now at 3 it is quite nice and sunny again. Pretty sure if this keeps up, I will just keep thinking that I'm in Iowa, rather than Wales!
Thursdays, we usually have our outdoor pursuits class at the Conway Center but that doesn't start until next week. Derek is at his computer science lab this afternoon though. Other than that I am just catching up on emails and picture stuff. I believe that I have all the pictures on the link that we have taken, at least that I know of. It has been quite a pain without my computer though. For those of you who didn't hear, my computer called it quits the first week we were here. It was originally my brothers when he went to college and when he needed a better one for the programs for his engineering stuff, I took his cause all I need it for was for typing papers and using internet. So not only is it quite old, it has been abroad once when Adam went to Germany. So it has been through its fair share of life. The power brick on the chord has decided to not work and my computer won't even register that anything is plugged in. So, for the time being I am just using Derek's computer for pictures and whatever. I will be fine using the computer labs for papers and other school things. I haven't for sure decided what I'm going to do about that but this seems to be working for the time being.
I did have my first Ages of Princes class on Tuesday. It is for my history core credit. There are probably about 30-35 people in the class and about 10-12 of them are from the Central program. It wasn't that bad except for the fact for every history class that I have ever taken, I at least have heard about what they prof talks about. Here, I never heard of any of the names, events, or locations that were mentioned. Which I expected but it was still just an odd feeling when the class was over!
Yesterday, neither Derek or I had class because again, they are starting next week. It wasn't the nicest day out but we decided to take the afternoon and head over the Menai Bridge and do some geocaching on the Isle of Anglesey. We found one over there, in the woods. It was located between the two bridges connecting Bangor to the Island of Anglesey. It was also close to a cometary so we did some exploring around that area as well. Then we came back to the Bangor side and followed a highway probably about a mile, then down a long narrow road to right under the other bridge connecting Bangor and Anglesey. I would never have gone down this road, but Derek was like sure. So we did! It actually was a little historical thing because the original bridge burned down and there were a few little posts about the history of the bridges. The other cache we found was by the large cement lions by the "new" bridge. So the road ended up being correct! By the time we walked back, which was quite a way, it was time for dinner. Then last night, we started looking into specifics for Easter(spring) break. We have a tentative schedule but we are still too far out to book some planes/trains so we are going to wait a bit longer to finalize anything for sure.
That is pretty much the excitement for the week. Tomorrow there is a clubs and organizations fair during the middle of the day. Then Saturday, the University of Bangor is hosting a bus trip to Liverpool for the day, which I believe all the Central students are going on, including the two of us. On Monday, all classes will be starting up so even though this week was the "first" week of classes, next week, everyone will be started with everything. Hope all is well back in the states!

No comments: