Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day in Wales

So this morning Derek whisked me off my feet on a quick flight to Paris and we were able to spend Valentine's Day looking off the Eiffel Tower... Not quite, it was actually a great day of gorge scrambling in outdoor pursuits! We headed out this morning and went to Black River where we spent the day gorge scrambling. This entailed the groups pretty much climbing up the creek/rocks/hill/gorge/waterfalls. Again we got to wear the stunning purple suits to help keep us dry but once you were in the water, they didn't do much to keep the water out. I wore a wet suit, like what surfers wear, under my purple suit along with the rest of my group. Derek and a few others in his group didn't. My leader, John, recommended that we did wear them only because he knew he would be taking us through spots where we were forced to swim and climb up waterfalls. We also wore harnesses again because there were a few spots where we hooked on to ropes due to the slick rocks and height of the waterfalls. Let me tell ya, the water was cold, and when I say cold, I mean FREEZING! Aunt Jane, I would say this beats some of the coldest waters we have been in! Not only that, but we were basically rock climbing up waterfalls in the freezing water. I have been out of the water for about 6 hours or so and my fingers and toes still feel like swollen sausages. We all were just shivering the entire time but spirits were high most of the day! At the same time, it was great fun. I have 8 others in my group and they were great. They are all in pretty good shape and are all up to a fun challenge! We did a bit more physically challenging things throughout the day than the other group and we all have bruises and battle wounds to show it. Not that they don't either, but still...
Anyhooter, other than that, nothing to exciting for love day. We had tortellini for supper and are just relaxing while we wait to head to the train station around 11. Beth, Niki, Heather, and Zach are all coming to visit everyone here in Wales for the long weekend. They are all studying in London and are ready to see new places and have a break from everyone in the London program. I'm super excited to have Beth, my room mate back a Central, come! And the others of course! I'm not sure what all we will be doing, probably just showing them around and such. They will be joining the whole Central group on our next field trip this Saturday on the tour of the Isle of Anglesey.
I think I am starting to catch a cold as my nose has been runny the past few days and I'm starting to sneeze quite a bit. I'm really hoping it clears up! I'm sure being wet and cold all day didn't help one bit! I'm thinking a nice cup of hot chocolate is sounding just about right at this point!
Happy Day Before 1/2 Price Chocolate Day!!

No comments: